About Shannon Miller
Shannon Lee Miller is a former artistic gymnast from Edmond, Oklahoma. She was the 1993 and 1994 World All-Around Champion, the 1996 Olympics balance beam gold medalist, the 1995 Pan Am Games all-around champion, and a member of the gold medal-winning Magnificent Seven team at the Atlanta Olympics.
1991 – 1992
- At her first World Championships in 1991 in Indianapolis, Miller won two silver medals—in the uneven bars (where she tied with Soviet gymnast Tatiana Gutsu) and the team competition.She placed second in the world during the compulsory portion of the competition to Soviet Svetlana Boguinskaya.
- Due to injury, Miller missed the 1992 Individual Apparatus World Championships in Paris.
1993 – 1994
- Miller became the first American to win back-to-back World All-Around Championships.
- At the 1994 World Championships in Brisbane, Miller again took the all-around title, beating Romanian Lavinia Milosovici into second place.
- she would compete at the 1994 U.S. National Championships, where she won five silver medals.
- she won the 1995 American Classic, Miller lost the 1995 National Championships to thirteen-year-old Dominique Moceanu.
- Coming into the 1995 World Championships, she amassed the highest total of the entire American team. Although she had won five individual gold medals in the last two World Championships
- Miller won the 1996 National Championships.
- Miller won the compulsory portion of the 1992 Olympic Games, and then won the entire individual portion of the team competition, both securing the bronze medal for the US women's gymnastics team
- Miller led the American team to victory as the Magnificent Seven, the 1996 Olympic gold medal winning American team, defeated the Russians for the first time ever.
Shannon Miller Achievements
Gold Medal records:
Gymnastics at the 1996 Summer Olympics – Women's artistic team all-around
Gymnastics at the 1996 Summer Olympics – Women's balance beam
World Gymnastics Championships:
1993 World Gymnastics Championships All-Around
1993 World Gymnastics Championships Uneven bars
1993 World Gymnastics Championships Floor exercise
1994 World Gymnastics Championships All-Around
1994 World Gymnastics Championships Balance beam
Pan American Games:
1995 Pan American Games Team
1995 Pan American Games All-Around
1995 Pan American Games Uneven bars
1995 Pan American Games Floor exercise