About Dandamudi Rajagopal
Dandamudi Rajagopal was a Famous sports person of India. Impressed by the performance of Kodi Rammurthy Naidu, he took up the line of weightlifting. He was trained by Sistla Somayajulu in weightlifting for some time. Later he traveled with Kolli Rangadasu and gave many performances in different Indian states and countries.
- In 1946 won 1st place in XII Olympic games of India held in Banglore in heavyweight class
- He annexed Kerala title in 1942 and the Bombay provincial honours in 1944 breaking all the previous records
- He has represented India in International competitions held in Burma in 1947.
- He won Gold medal in Indian Olympic Games held at Delhi in 1952. He has lifted 780 pounds in the Heavyweight category. In 1954 Indian Olympics he has won Gold medal and established three records.
- He won Bronze medal in 1951 Asian Games held in New Delhi in Weightlifting. Dandamudi was the 1st Indian weightlifting champion continuously for 13 years from 1945 to 1958. Dandamudi won Mr. Asia title in 1948 at Calcutta in Asian body building competition. He was the 1st president of Andhra olympic Association. He has been the captain of Andhra Olympic team. He was the Founder of Andhra Olympic Association and several other sports associations in Andhra Pradesh.
- He has represented India thrice in the world Olympic games held in London (1948) and Melbourne (1956) and represented India in the Heavyweight category of Weightlifting. He has got 6th rank in final standings in London Olympics and 9th rank in Melbourne Olympics . 11th Place in Finland Olympics in 1952. He established Free gymnasia name D.R.Gopal'Institute at many places in krishna district to coach youngsters.He was a good coach too
Dandamudi Rajagopal Achievements
Dandamudi was conferred with various titles as Mr.Asia, Andhrabhima, Andhrahercules, Indian Tarzan and The Giant of India. Dandamudi feats attracted people all over the country. He used to break iron chains tied to his body by taking a deep breath and flexing his muscles. Dandamudi is the 1st Indian who has received Mr.Asia title. Arjuna award winner kamineni eswararao is trained by dandamudi in weight lifting