For the people from Ratnagiri, 'PATWARDHAN HIGH SCHOOL' is a well known educational Institution. This institution is contributing significantly to the cause of education in Ratnagiri and surrounding area. In the recent ranking of the educational institutions conducted under R-ZAC scheme, this institution has been ranked in the highest category of A+.
In the year 1902, Shri Keshvrao Patwardhan, and Shri Narayanrao Patwardhan and with some of their relatives and well-wishers, established an educational institute, then named as PATWARDHAN MIDDLE SCHOOL. Although starting with only a handful of students, due to the high standards of education, personal attention and discipline, this institution was well received by students and parents and was on a growth path. Conducting the classes at various rented places, the school moved into a specious permanent location where the school and its other institutions are now located. In the year 1935 the school was re-named as PATWARDHAN HIGH SCHOOL. Patwardhan High school conducted classes from 5th to 11 th (old SSC) standards.