Jai Prakash Vishwavidyala (University) was established on 22.11.90 by the enactment of Section 3(b) of Bihar State Universities Act, 1976 with its Head Quarters at Chapra, after Carving it out from the then, Bihar University (now B.R.A. Bihar University) Muzaffarpur. The territorial jurisdiction of the University is stretched over the whole of Saran Division Comprising three districts of Chapra, Siwan and Gopalganj. The Colleges situated in these districts were automatically transferred to Jai Prakash University, Chapra. There are altogether 21 constitute Colleges, 11 affiliated colleges in which 2 are deficit Grant Colleges (including one minority college). There are some proposed Colleges of which a few are professional colleges.
Earlier, all the above constituent Colleges now under J.P.University, Chapra were under the territorial jurisdiction of the then Bihar University, Muzaffarpur. These Colleges had been established and were functional much before the birth of J. P. University. Rajendra College, Chapra the oldest College (established in the year 1938) of this University, occupies a Special Status in the field of higher education. Bihar Govt.
Vice ChancellorProf. Dwijendra Kumar Gupta,
AddressNear Parwati Ashram (Chota Telpa), Chapra - 841301, Bihar