About Joey Chestnut
Joseph "Jaws" Christian Chestnut is an American competitive eater. The 6-foot-tall (1.8 m), 240-pound (110 kg) competitive eater is currently ranked second in the world by the Major League Eating. He is a Vallejo, California native who currently resides in San Jose, California.
Chestnut trains by fasting and by stretching his stomach with milk, water and protein supplements.Since the start of his competitive eating career, his competition weight has varied from 225–240 pounds (102–109 kg). Although this is in dispute. Footage from the 9th Annual World Gyoza Eating Contest 2015 clearly shows Chestnut in excess of 240lbs. After winning his sixth consecutive hot dog eating contest in 2012 by eating 68 hot dogs, he stated, ?I will not stop until I reach 70. This 'sport' isn't about eating. It's about drive and dedication, and at the end of the day hot dog eating challenges both my body and my mind.?
Joey Chestnut Timeline:
Chestnut, a San Jose State University student, entered the competitive eating scene in 2005 with a break-out performance in the deep-fried asparagus eating championship, in which he beat high-ranked eater Rich LeFevre by eating 6.3 pounds of asparagus in 11.5 minutes. That same year, during Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest, he downed 32 dogs, placing third behind Takeru Kobayashi and Sonya Thomas.
Chestnut qualified for the 2006 Nathan's Contest by eating 50 hot dogs with buns (HDB). As July 4 approached, there was speculation that 2006 might be the year when Kobayashi would be beaten.It was not to be, however. Although Chestnut turned in a great performance, leading Takeru Kobayashi through most of the contest, the final tally put Chestnut at 52 and Kobayashi at 53 3/4 (a new world record). Chestnut lost to Kobayashi in the Johnsonville World Bratwurst Eating Championship in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. He ate 41 bratwurst sausages in 10 minutes. Kobayashi ate 58.
- In 2007, Chestnut won the Wing Bowl XV, an annual Philadelphia event at the Wachovia Center. In this competition, he ate 182 chicken wings in 30 minutes, becoming a Wing Bowl champion and record holder.
- Chestnut was seen on a YouTube video drinking a gallon of milk in 41 seconds.
- On July 4, 2007, Chestnut and Kobayashi battled the field in a record-setting hot dog eating battle in Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York, at Nathan's Contest. Chestnut knocked off Kobayashi 66–63, leading to the latter's first defeat in the contest in six years.
- On October 28, 2007, between 2:33 and 2:41, Chestnut ate 103 Krystal burgers in the Krystal Square Off World Hamburger Eating Championship in Chattanooga, Tennessee. This was Chestnut's personal best, and is the new world record.
- Chestnut started off 2008 very well by setting two new world records: (1) he devoured 241 wings in 30 minutes at the Wing Bowl XVI in Philadelphia on February 1(The record was broken by Takeru Kobayashi at the Wing Bowl XX in 2011. Kobayashi ate 337 wings), and (2) he ate 78 matzo balls during Kenny & Ziggy's World Matzoh Ball Eating Championship in Houston, Texas on March 2.
- On 24 March 2008, Chestnut set a new record at The Big Texan Steak Ranch restaurant in Amarillo, Texas by eating a meal of 72-ounce ribeye steak, salad, baked potato, shrimp cocktail, and roll in just 8 minutes 52 seconds. Shortly after, on his show on KKLA, Frank Pastore, the previous record holder, congratulated Chestnut. (The overall human record is 4 minutes 18 seconds, done by Molly Schuyler on 19 April 2015, on her first of three meals. She subsequently had two more meals, and completed them all after 20 minutes elapsed.)
- On 21 June 2008, Chestnut lost to Takeru Kobayashi in a Pizza Hut P'Zone competition at Sony Studios in Culver City, California. The competition aired on Spike TV on June 21.
- On 4 July 2008, Chestnut tied Takeru Kobayashi in the annual Nathan's Hot Dog Contest after eating 59 HDB in 10 minutes. The tie resulted in a 5-hotdog eat-off, which Chestnut won by consuming all 5 hot dogs before Kobayashi. The 59 is a new record in the competition based on the reduction from 12 minutes to 10 minutes. Chestnut weighed in at 102 kilograms (225 pounds).
- On 28 July 2008, Chestnut lost to Takeru Kobayashi in Chicken Satay eating in the MLE Asia inaugural event. He consumed just over 4 kilograms to Kobayashi's almost 5.5.
- On 23 August 2008, Chestnut defeated #2 IFOCE ranked competitive eater Pat "Deep Dish" Bertoletti in the 2nd Gyoza Eating Championship in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, California. He devoured 231 gyoza, setting a new world record; he beat his previous record of 212, set in the inaugural event in 2006 when he narrowly defeated Sonya "Black Widow" Thomas (210). Thomas did not attend the 2008 event due to budgetary and travel costs.
- On 12 October 2008, he consumed 45 slices of pizza, winning the "Famous Famiglia World Pizza Eating Championship", which was held in New York's Times Square. This would be a brief record until Bertoletti would consume 47 slices a few weeks later.
- On February 21, 2009, he consumed 10 and a half pounds of macaroni and cheese in seven minutes during halftime at the San Jose Stealth lacrosse game, beating out his contestants and adding another world record to his name.
- On July 4, 2009, Chestnut topped his previous record of 59 hot dogs and buns by consuming 68 HDB in the 2009 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest.
- On September 27, 2009, Chestnut lost to Takeru Kobayashi in Krystal Square Off World Hamburger Eating Championship. He ate 81 hamburgers. Kobayashi ate 93.
- On Man v. Food, San Jose, Chestnut ate Iguana's Burritozilla: a 5-pound, 17-inch burrito in 3 minutes, 10 seconds.
- Chestnut has said upon many occasions that his favorite food is not hot dogs. "I like soy sauce," he says.
- On May 9, 2010 Chestnut won Shrimp Wontons eating in Singapore. Chestnut ate 380 wontons in 8 minutes to set a new world record.
- On July 4, 2010, Chestnut secured his fourth straight Nathan's Hotdog Eating Contest, by consuming 54 HDB in what he himself describes as a disappointing performance.
- On September 18, 2010, Chestnut ate his way to a First-Ever Pepto Bismol Bratwurst Eating Championship at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio. Chestnut devoured 42 Queen City Sausage brats in 12 minutes.
- On September 25, 2010, at the Phantom Gourmet Food Fest in Boston, Massachusetts, Chestnut won the Upper Crust Pizza Eating competition by taking down 37 slices in 10 minutes. He beat the Notorious BOB Shoudt by 1 slice.
On July 4, 2011, Chestnut secured his fifth straight Nathan's Hotdog Eating Contest, by consuming 62 HDB. Kobayashi, who could not participate in the contest because of his refusal to sign the required contract, ate 69 HDB at an off-site event with independent judges to establish a new world record.
- Joe graduated from San Jose State in 2012.
- Joey Chestnut lifts the trophy at the 2012 World Poutine Eating Championship in Toronto, Ontario
- On March 17, 2012 (St. Patrick's Day) Chestnut set a new world record by eating 20 half pound Corned Beef sandwiches in 10 minutes at the annual Toojay's Corned Beef eating competition in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. Pat "Deep Dish" Bertoletti finished in second place.
- On July 4, 2012, Chestnut successfully defended his title at Nathan's 97th Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest at Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York. He tied his own world record by swallowing 68 HDB in 10 minutes, which earned him his 6th "mustard belt" for this competition.
- On August 27, 2012 Chestnut cursed at Hofmann Hot dog and Kobayashi, stating in a Twitter post, "Congrats to @FReeKobio704 for eating a bunch of nasty Hoffman crap dogs. He needed an ego boost after 3 years of dodging competition."
- On September 2, 2012 Chestnut consumed 191 wings (7.61 pounds) in 12 minutes to win the 1st place competitive-eating trophy at the National Buffalo Wing Festival in Buffalo, New York. He defeated the previous five-year champion Sonya Thomas.
- On October 13, 2012, Chestnut won the 3rd Annual Smoke's Poutinerie World Poutine Eating Championships in Toronto, Ontario by consuming 19 boxes (9.5 pounds) of poutine in 10 minutes.
- On July 4, 2013, Chestnut successfully defended his title at Nathan's 98th Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest at Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York. He beat his own world record of 68 by consuming 69 HDB in 10 minutes, which earned him his 7th Mustard Belt for this competition.
- On July 25, 2013, Chestnut ate 179 wings in 10 minutes taking the title for the second year in a row at the Hooters World Wing-Eating Championship held in Clearwater, Florida.
- On September 22, 2013, Chestnut ate 70 bratwursts to set the world record and take his fourth straight title, at the Hillshire Farm Bratwurst Eating World Championship held at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati in Cincinnati, OH.
On July 4, 2014, Chestnut ate more hot dogs than any of his opponents, narrowly defeating competitor Matt Stonie. He successfully ate 61 hot dogs to Stonie's 56, making this his 8th consecutive win. Prior to the event, Chestnut proposed to his longtime girlfriend, Neslie Ricasa.
On July 4, 2015, Chestnut was defeated by Stonie. He successfully ate 60 hot dogs, but Stonie improved since 2014 and consumed 62 hot dogs, ending Chestnut's eight-year run as champion.