Great institutions and movements are often conceived by the concern of some men of vision for a noble cause and these institutions reach excellence to find a permanent place in the history of humanity. One such institution that has served humanity in the field of education for a hundred and seventy five years, with unflagging zeal, is the Madras Christian College Higher Secondary School.
The credit of having brought western education to Madras goes to the church of Scotland. Two Chaplains - Rev. James Laurie and Rev. Mathew Bowce who had come to serve the congregation at St. Andrew's Kirk, Egmore opened a school on Roundall's Road in June 1835. The appeal to the Church of Scotland for a missionary and an educationist, brought forth REV. JOHN ANDERSON to Madras on Feb 22nd 1837. He initiated the move, for the school to a better placed two storied house at Armenian St. in George Town. The school started functioning from April 3rd 1837 and was renamed ‘Madras General Assembly’s School’. Anderson sacrificed much for the building of this institution , carried out several bold academic reforms and also opened education for the oppressed sections of the society.
To provide holistic education and develop a spirit of serving the society
To nurture talents and skills, in sports and extracurricular activities
To inspire students to serve the world community without prejudice